“New year new me.”
That’s the common mantra every January 1st. We set these lofty resolutions (often without planning how we will make them a reality or how we will stick to them) and try to fix our entire life a the start of the year. I’m guilty of it as well.
Remember when I said I would run/walk/hike the year in 2016? In case you don’t remember the foolishness: My goal was to log as many miles as the year. So 2,016 miles. Didn’t happen. I have my reasons: running a marathon and my knee being out of commission for over 6 weeks, getting pregnant in the heat of summer and feeling nauseous during even the shortest of walks, buying a farm and starting numerous projects, spraining my ankle after a hike and so forth. But really… I just lost interest in it. It was a huge undertaking and it just wasn’t a priority in the grand scheme of things. With that said, I DO totally want to do this one year. Maybe in 2018 or 2020. I think it’s a bad ass goal and would love to accomplish it. But like last year, right now ain’t looking too good. I consider it a pretty big fail on my part. I didn’t have a plan to make it really happen and didn’t think it through. I legitimately woke up one day, saw that people were doing this on the Internet and decided I could also do it. Didn’t plan for injuries, didn’t plan for pregnancy, didn’t plan for a move, didn’t plan for anything. But it’s a mistake I learned from and am taking into 2017.
This year I have a few goals/intentions. All are doable and this year I took some time planning to make the intentions attainable.
My Kick Ass Goals for 2017:
1. Keep marriage strong
- Remember patience
- Give compliments/thank yous/words of affirmation
- Make time daily to communicate, work on puzzles, read aloud to one another, etc
2. Mother well
- Remember patience
- Make time daily for Baby Kola to have undivided attention from me or Mr. Hungry Yogi- no phones! (becoming a big sister is going to be a big ordeal in her life. She deserves to know she matters even on days when we feel overwhelmed with a newborn). Do this by participating in active play, her daily ‘lessons’, and explorations of the world (hikes/walks)
3. Get that booty right
- Leg day 2x a week
- Double days (HIIT and leg day)
- Don’t be afraid to lift heavy
4. Remember the power of yoga
- Practice 300 hrs this year (got this idea from one of my yoga teachers and LOVE it. Attainable and concrete way to measure progress)
- Read yoga texts and stay informed on topics related to yoga and health
5. Stay in touch with friends
- Text, call, send cards for events (birthdays, special events)
- Make time monthly to actually hang out (did not do well with this towards the end of 2016)
6. Read more
- Read 12 books this year
- Spend at least 30 minutes a day reading
7. Plan for the future
- Look for work outside of the home OR enroll in classes.
- Decide by August which direction to take (Lil Kola will be 6 months. Seems like a good time to move forward with this goal)
I think these are all attainable goals.
Writing them down helps and quantifying what can be measured helps a lot as well. I’m excited about crushing these goals this year. And if, for some reason I don’t crush them all, I’ll remember to be kind to myself.
Here’s to 2017, new goals, strong relationships, and strong legs and glutes! 😉